Sunday, May 28, 2017

PLAY GOD: ani difranco


I was done at 16 Showin up for class I was out there In the ring Learnin how to kick some ass I was done at 16 Using my momma's key It was all on me Yes it was all on me... Weren't no free rides Weren't no IOU's I pulled my weight I paid my dues And I showed up To enlist On the first day of recruits How bout you? How bout you... I'm my brother's keeper Every chance I can I pay my taxes Like any working man And I feel I've earned My right to choose You don't get to play God, man I do You don't get to play God, man I do... You get to run the world In your special way You get much more Much more than your say Government, religion It's all just patriarchy I must insist You leave this one thing to me... Just one thing that a man needs To be truly free This is the modern world And that one thing is money But there are two things That a woman needs Control over her own body... Yes I pay the price On top of everything Each month a bill Each month a reckoning And each seed that dies I cry and I bleed So you can't tell me No you can't tell me... I am a soldier It's my blood that flows I'd give my life So that this tree can grow You don't know creation Like I know So you can't tell me No you can't tell me... I'm my brother's keeper Every chance I can I pay my taxes Like any workin man And I feel I've earned My right to choose You don't get to play God I do You don't get to play God I do You don't get to play God I do... lyrics and music by ANI DIFRANCO

No comments:

Post a Comment